January 21, 2012 at 2:43 pm (General WhatsIt)
I am still working on embroidered quilt blocks. The pattern I have in mind for the overall quilt is pretty simple:
and in the center (represented by the hearts and stars) would be the pieces of embroidery that I’m currently working on.
The embroidery squares are usually things that mean stuff to me in some fashion. An example of blocks I’ve made:
- a deer, because the boys and I are always looking for deer on the side of the road when we’re going places.
- a mushroom, because I am allergic
- a bee, because I am allergic to these too (but both mushrooms and bees can be just so darned cute)
- a red maple leaf, because autumn is my favorite season
- a little mill that bears a remarkable resemblance to Mabry Mill
- a cherry tree covered in pink blossoms, the things I loved best whenever visiting DC
- a heart that looks like it’s been carved in to a tree trunk with the Mister’s and my initials
All of them are sort of natural looking…. woodsy… outdoorsy… which is sort of the theme. I went to my fabric box, and started chopping up scraps and such. I have usually 12 squares per piece of fabric that I use. 8 of the squares go to my quilt, and the remaining 4 I keep… to hopefully make blankets for the boys, 1 square to each (which may or may not be hopeful wishing based on how this goes).
Otherwise – things are going as they go. You know… lol… the usual.
January 6, 2012 at 11:42 pm (General WhatsIt)
Some time ago, before I moved to where I am now, I had a vision…. I was going to make a patchwork quilt.
At that time, it was not so big a deal… I only had 2 kids at the time and was working on cooking the third… and I only had a queen sized bed then.
I was ambitious… many of squares were going to be embroidered… I just knew it… and I started right away embroidering squares with things like names… celtic knots… and dragons…
… but I never went beyond that… the blocks that I embroidered sat around for years and I did nothing with them….
The bug has now got up my butt again, but things have changed since then. We have 4 kids… we now have a king size bed… I initially embroidered things on a diamond shape cloth, and now I’m favoring good old fashioned square shaped… I embroidered whatever held my fancy then… and now I’m sort of sticking to a theme (a loose one, but a theme nonetheless)- so I’m sort of starting over.
See? The quilt that never ends
January 2, 2012 at 10:41 pm (General WhatsIt)
Recently I was contacted through Ravelry by the lovely lady over at Geek Crafts that she posted up an article about me. You can find it , here. I giggled and spurted, because I read that blog… and there she was writing about me!
… and then I read further… and saw she linked to my blog… and then I was like “Crap… I haven’t written anything for years.”
So let’s play catch up once again…..
- The husband and I went on a cruise in September – sort of like the honeymoon we never had (pictures on my facebook page)
- I’ve been playing dek hockey since March… I’m not too shabby on defense (pictures also on facebook page)
- I’ve started work on something I can only refer to as the Quilt That Will Never End (more to come on that)
- I’ve knitted many things, if you check my Ravelry projects
- I’ve made many other things as well that never made it to Ravelry (pictures also on facebook page)
That’s all I have so far… more to follow